Many years ago, when life was difficult, my friend offered an escape. He dreamt of buying a boat and suggested that we could live on it away from the lives that we were leading then. We would live off the coast of some Greek island and in summer he could take tourists out on trips, and in winter we could hibernate in the shelter of some small Greek harbour. A simple, idyllic life.
Of course I was tempted, but I felt tied to the life I had. But when days felt really tough, the idea that I had this other option helped me through.
Now life is good, and I have no need to wish for an escape, but I felt immense pleasure as I stood yesterday and looked at the shell of a boat he has bought. It may be many years later, the boat may need a lot of work, and it may never find its way to that Greek island but I know it is a dream finally fulfilled.
Saturday, 25 July 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment