Saturday, 21 February 2009

A favourite place

I am looking forward to returning to Salt's Mill next week, it is one of my favourite places. When I think of it I think of the way its history seems to invade the building, giving it a timeless quality which is very humbling. The sense of space there is awe inspiring - brick built and cavernous with the sort of dimensions that remind me of the vast cathedrals built centuries ago. But unlike any Cathedral this was a place built for industry, it does not hide behind a facade of gilt and fancy finishes but displays its rough edges proudly. But most of all I think of the smell of brick and dust and heady scented air emanating from the sculptural vases of white lilies. And as in the past I will pause a while, aware that I am just one of many who have stood in this building, and feel privileged to be in such a magnificent place.

No comments: